WELL. When I said I might be cutting back on blogging, I did not expect to take an 11-month hiatus. But here we are. I’m not sure if anyone’s still reading; regardless, I thought I’d give a little life update.
We live in Brooklyn now! We have the cutest little apartment in Carroll Gardens, which is the dreamiest of neighborhoods. Here’s the view of our street from our front door (taken in the summertime, obviously):
Around when the neighborhood was founded, back in the 1800s, a law was passed that required all lots to leave 33 feet between the building and the street. Most of these spaces are used for gardens and courtyards, and the sidewalks are lovely and wide – very helpful for our skittish dog.
It’s a heavily Italian area, which is just fine by us. (I have never eaten so much cheese in my life.) The neighborhood is almost perfect, except it’s almost an hour from both of our midtown offices. The commute will probably get old at some point, but for now, it’s worth it.
Brad got a job working for Marketplace (a company that produces shows and podcasts for public radio), where he started as an audio engineer and then got promoted to technical director. Around the same time as his promotion, I got hired as the social media editor for House Beautiful and Good Housekeeping.
I don’t want to get too deep into the schmaltzy dream-come-true aspect of it all, so suffice it to say, Brad and I are feeling pretty lucky right about now.
Let’s see, what else has happened since last May?
- Brad singlehandedly sold and packed our house while I was up in New York, because he’s a BOSS.
- I learned how to waterski.
- I officially ended my 16-year stint as a redhead and chopped off all my hair. It was short and sort of blonde for a while; it’s now a bit longer and purple.
- I tried 21 Day Fix for about 14 days and failed miserably.
- I saw Hedwig & the Angry Inch with Taye Diggs and drooled all over myself. That man is gorgeous. Even as a woman. Especially as a woman.
- We binged all of Gilmore Girls and fell hopelessly in love. Can you believe neither of us had seen it before?!
- I flew to Texas to see my very wonderful cousin get married to a very wonderful man.
- I nearly got my arm snapped off by a cranky sheep at the Prospect Park Zoo.
- We tried Blue Apron and failed miserably.
- We got really hyped up for our first northern winter, and then El Niño took it away from us. But at least this happened, and it was the happiest I’d been in a very long time:
(Yes, that’s me lying in the snowbank, pondering the winter stars and wondering why I waited so long to get back up north.)
- We saw Hamilton. Yes, it really is that good.
- We went skiing/snowboarding, and I learned the true meaning of terror while careening down a very steep trail in the Catskills.
I think that covers it? I’d love to give a virtual tour of our apartment, but I’m a perfectionist and can’t bear the thought of sharing it before it’s “done.” (I may need to get over this. It’s a rental. It will never be done.) I have, however, compiled a few photos of areas that I don’t currently hate:
I’m hoping to be back around here more often from now on, and maybe some day, we’ll actually finish unpacking so I can show you the rest of our home. Fingers crossed.
So, what’s new with you guys?
*crickets crickets crickets*
P.S. Let’s be friends on Snapchat! I’m @stephsfisher.